VISUAL ART BENCHMARKS
When exiting second grade the student should be able to:
- Use basic art tools in a safe and appropriate manner.
- Observe artwork and verbally respond to what they see in a personal manner.
- Identify colors, patterns, shapes and textures through their world around them and apply these to their work.
- Display a basic understanding of two dimensional processes through painting, weaving, printmaking and etching. Also, three dimensional processes through plaster craft, paper mache, clay, paper sculpture...
- Verbalize generally the natural connection between art, science, math, history...
- Explain that an artist makes us look at the world more carefully as well as design things to make our lives easier.
- Demonstrate the ability to reflect upon experiences and imagination in the creation of images.
- Express that art is a visual form of communication through creating artwork that tells a story.
- Show respect for visual arts through beginning to critique art in a respectful manner.