The officers' duties are as follows:President: Runs monthly meetings and organizes projects for members.Vice President: Assists in running meetings and projects. Keeps record of service hours for each member.Secretary: Records the minutes and attendance of each meeting of officers and monthly meetings. Completes any necessary correspondence.Treasurer: Signs off on financial transactions and completes necessary financial paperwork for NJHS.
The National Junior Honor Society (NJHS) is more than just an honor roll. The Honor Society chapter establishes rules for membership that are based upon a student's outstanding performance in the areas of scholarship, service, leadership, character, and citizenship. These criteria for selection form the foundation upon which the organization and its activities are built.
* Scholarship: Students who have a cumulative grade point average of 89.5 percent or higher, for five consecutive marking periods, meet the scholarship requirement for membership in the Linden Avenue Chapter. These students are then eligible for consideration on the basis of service, leadership, character, and citizenship.
* Service: This quality is defined through the voluntary contributions made by a student to the school or community, done without compensation and with a positive, courteous, and enthusiastic spirit.
* Leadership: Student leaders are those who are resourceful, good problem solvers, promoters of school activities, idea-contributors, dependable, and persons who exemplify positive attitudes about life. Leadership experiences can be drawn from school or community activities while working with or for others.
* Character: The student of good character upholds principles of morality and ethics, is cooperative, demonstrates high standards of honesty and reliability, shows courtesy, concern, and respect for others, and generally maintains a good and clean lifestyle.
* Citizenship: The student who demonstrates citizenship understands the importance of civic involvement, has a high regard for freedom, justice, and democracy, and demonstrates mature participation and responsibility through involvement with such activities as scouting, community organizations, and school clubs.
Specific standards for these criteria may vary from one school to the next. Such variations are acceptable as long as they do not fall below the national standards set by the National Council of the NJHS. All membership selection for individual students is handled through the local school chapter.
For membership in the Linden Avenue Chapter of the NJHS , any student in the second semester of the 7th grade, or grade 8, with a cumulative grade point average of 89.5 or above, for five consecutive marking periods, is eligible for consideration. Applications will be distributed to all students who meet this criteria for Scholarship.
The Faculty Council meets (date to be determined) to review applications for membership. Correct completion of the application is essential. Each candidate’s application is reviewed thoroughly. Essays must be neat, well-written, and summarize each student’s individual qualities and examples of Service, Leadership, Character, and Citizenship in his/her own life. Service and Citizenship are weighed heavily. The Faculty Council obtains information regarding a student’s Leadership and Character qualities from teachers, coaches, and/or advisors, in addition to the essay. After review, members of the Faculty Council vote to determine acceptance or decline membership, with the majority being the rule. The Advisor does not vote.
NJHS Service Requirements
Your application for membership requires at least 20 hours of service in grade 8 or ten hours in grade 7(Linden Ave. and/or Community) prior to application. Any student already inducted into the NJHS, or those interested in being inducted this year, should either use the link to print a Monthly Service Log or ask Mrs. Goldhirsch for copies of the form.
Each member already inducted into the Linden Avenue Chapter of the NJHS is required to perform 20 hours of service to Linden Avenue Middle School or the surrounding communities (June 2019 - May 2020). Each time you work, fill in the date, amount of time logged, and have your sponsor or parent initial the log. Members continually turning in logs late will be placed on probation.