Skip To Main Content

Logo Image

Logo Title

Access pupil services

Red Hook Raider logo

Mission & Vision Statement

The Red Hook Central School District is a welcoming and diverse community of learners committed to personal growth and caring for others.

The Red Hook Central School District seeks to empower each individual to embrace today and navigate the possibilities of tomorrow.

Who we are

Jack Costello

Director of Pupil Personnel, CPSE, K-12 CSE chairperson
Jack Costello

Melissa Alessi

Secretary for Pupil Personnel Services, CPSE & Grades K-5
Melissa Alessi

Secretary for Pupil Personnel Services, Grades 6-12
Jennifer Norris

Nicole Farbent

Grades 3-5 chairperson
Nicole Farbent

Cori Embler

Grades 6-8 chairperson
Cori Embler

Donna Schulte

CSE 9-12 chairperson
Donna Schulte

Common forms

CPSE Referral Form

CPSE Referral Form (Spanish)

Preschool Guide to Referring

RHCSD Registration information

Help for parents

Workshops and resource links

Welcome to Pupil Personnel Services

Pupil personnel services is responsible for providing a wide range of programs and services to students with learning differences. The department includes teaching staff, school psychologists, counselors, school social workers, speech pathologists, occupational therapists and physical therapists.

What is the process to get help for my child?

  1. If you suspect your child may have a learning disability, contact your child's building principal.
  2. The principal will hold a Response to Intervention Team (RTI) meeting to determine if additional building-level services will accelerate your child's learning.
  3. Under the Individuals with Disabilities Education Improvement Act (IDEIA) and Part 200 of the Commissioner’s Regulations, the District must have a Response to Intervention/RTI process to support a student’s education program before consideration of referral to the Committee on Special Education (CSE).
  4. If the RTI process does not improve your child's progress, then the committee will refer your child to the CSE. Parents may also refer their child to the CSE or the Committee on Preschool Special Education (CPSE).
  5. Once parents have given signed consent to evaluate, a 60-day timeline commences during which time evaluation will occur and a meeting will be held.
  6. A meeting will be held with either the CSE or CPSE to determine your child's eligibility under CSE/CPSE and if your child is eligible, the CSE/CPSE will develop an Individualized Education Program for your child.

Our office also oversees services for homeless students and school-based mental health services.

Regulation information

Learn the basics

Special Education: A Basic Guide for Parents

ADHD: A Primer for Parents and Educators

Intellectual Ability and Assessment: A Primer for Parents and Educators

Early Childhood Disabilities and Special Education